Especially in today’s economy, tighter schedules and leaner construction budgets are par for the course. As a result, more Bay Area project owners are considering the design/assist and design/build delivery methods to help them make the most economical and effective use of time and materials.
When time is of the essence, the Peterson team can drive a quick schedule through fast track of design, material procurement, creative scheduling, and project planning. We employ the latest CAD, CAM, and BIM technologies to help finish projects faster and reduce the risk of change orders.
- In-house Licensed Civil and Mechanical Engineers: Having California licensed engineers in house allows our engineers to work directly with our team of detailers, trades people, estimators, and managers to produce a cost-effective and constructible turnkey design. Don’t be fooled by our competitors’ claimed design/build capability. Using a third party design firm reduces or eliminates all of the opportunity of real design/build.
- Design/Build: Peterson’s design/build capabilities ensure turnkey mechanical and plumbing systems while maintaining the project budget, schedule, and energy management plan. Our in-house engineering team will take the mechanical portion of the project from pre-planning through start-up and commissioning. At Peterson Mechanical, design build is not new to us; we have been delivering design build projects for over 15 years. Some examples of projects are large medical office buildings, hospitals, process systems for the high tech industry, and multi-story office buildings.
- Design/Assist: The design/assist delivery method is an effective way to reduce project costs and control schedules while maintaining the traditional separation between contractor and consulting firm. Our engineers, project managers, detailers, and estimators have worked with some of the top Bay Area design teams to produce fully coordinated and constructible design documents. By identifying value-engineering opportunities, we can help make the most effective use of resources while reducing construction costs. We produce constructable, complete drawings that satisfy the most detailed OSHPD inspectors.
- Pre-Construction Services: Our services begin prior to the bidding or award of the project. We assist our client general contractors with pre-construction advice up front, helping our GC partners with scoping, early design issues, sequencing, scheduling, and logistic planning to name a few.
- Pre-Construction Budgeting : We understand that in order for a project to be viable, our client general contractors and/or owners need to know cost before the design is complete. Our experience allows us to fill in the design “gaps” in early design to be able to produce complete and accurate project budgets.
- Design Coordination: Our engineers work closely with our detailers during design to produce drawings that are coordinated early. This eliminates the traditional design/coordination gap, reducing the post design coordination effort duration.
- 3D CAD Design: Using 3D CAD software allows us to coordinate more effectively in today’s advanced architectural and structural 3D design environment.
- Constructability Review: Our experience allows us to identify that a seemingly good design may not be buildable. We can assist with identifying problems before construction, reducing change orders and project delays.
- Code Compliance: Our team will provide expert analysis of all current building codes, including CALGreen, NFPA, OSHPD, and local codes. When necessary, we may be able to prove alternate means of code compliance (variances) to reduce project costs.
- Target Value Design: Design to the budget and what the owner wants. No more Cadillac designs when the owner needs and wants a Chevy.
- Lean Design: Design/Build is a Lean project delivery method by nature. Single sourcing minimizes the number of team members and puts the remaining under one company who are in the same building, reducing the communication inefficiencies. Reducing the upfront design time along with quick construction issues resolution allows projects to be completed quicker than ever.
- LEED Green Design: Our in-house LEED Accredited professionals will target the appropriate LEED credits and meet all necessary requirements to achieve your desired certification level.
Contact us to see how we can help with a design or delivery method that suits the needs of your project.
Peterson Mechanical is a Sonoma-based mechanical contractor providing a single source for reliable mechanical systems in the San Francisco Bay Area. Specializing in HVAC, plumbing and refrigeration for a wide variety of market sectors including Healthcare, Technology, Education, Office Space, Hospitality, Winery, High Rise and Low Rise Residential. Our team of in-house licensed civil and mechanical engineers work directly with estimators and managers to produce a cost effective and turnkey design.