Careers at Peterson Mechanical
Our Culture Current Positions (2) Think Safety
Equal Employment Highlight of Benefits ADA Compliance
The Peterson Mechanical Culture
Peterson Mechanical has been in the same family for over a century and that family-feel is at the core of everything we do. Employees enjoy working here. We are hard-working, but have fun doing so; it’s a supportive environment; it’s just the right size to get to know everybody, and make sure you don’t trip over our mascot dogs, Abby and Izzy!
We celebrate! There are picnics, parties, and BBQs. We share birthday wishes and welcome babies.
We promote an open-door policy. Our top management is visible, available, and genuinely interested in our employees.
Peterson Mechanical’s Code of Excellence
- The company is only as good as its employees. We mentor and grow our people for they are our greatest asset.
- We are experts in our business. We solve problems. If we don’t know, we find out.
- We have a “Can Do” attitude. We understand that if we don’t, our competitors will.
- Employee safety is a top priority.
- We promote our company every day by being responsive and working with our customers and GC’s as partners. Every job is a marketing opportunity for our entire company. (HVAC, Plumbing, Service)
- We take pride in our Integrity, Work Ethic, and Craftsmanship.
- We are one company and a team. We communicate, look-out for our fellow workers, and do what’s best for the company.
- We take a proactive approach to our work. We plan our work, look at the result then plan some more.
- All employees have equal value. We listen to our employees and respect differing opinions. We treat our peers with respect.
- We are continuously improving ourselves and our company. We are creative and believe in progressive thinking.
Peterson Mechanical Core Values
Excellence – Exceeding standards in every aspect of our business.
Innovative – Using creative ideas and cutting edge technology to deliver advanced solutions.
Integrity – Committing to principles of responsibility, reliability, and honesty.
Leadership – Standing at the forefront of our business and providing initiative in all we do.
Proactive – Anticipating required actions and responding with solutions.
Current Positions Available
Commercial HVAC Service Manager
The Commercial Service Manager visits job sites, analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, material, equipment, and other costs to assigned HVAC projects and services. The Commercial Service Manager creates preliminary estimates for planning purposes and detailed itemized estimates based on final plans and specifications, material and labor requirements and develops itemized lists. The position is responsible for planning, organizing, and scheduling work, preparing bids, selecting vendors or subcontractors, and determining timeline for the project. He/she can revise estimates as requested and follow-up with clients upon completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes labor, material, and time requirements for project
- Maintains files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures
- Negotiates pricing
- Analyzes requirements for Carrier Controls projects
- Coordinates support activities and maintains relationships with all parties involved in project
- Analyzes, compares, and interprets detailed information to make sound and accurate judgments
- Attends jobsite walkthroughs
- Gathers first-hand information from sites, warehouse, or other venues
- Pitches sales; fulfills client appointments in a timely manner
- Builds relationships with key vendors (subcontractors, suppliers, engineers etc.)
- Creates estimates in Excel
- Obtains proposals and reviews offers and quotes by subcontractors or vendors
- Makes follow up’s and checks in with clients often to verify if any questions or concerns, to promote the sale
- Performs project management activities; provides consultation on planning (schedules, manpower needs etc.)
- Presents detailed reports to management
- Assists in recruiting talent.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- HS Diploma
- Three to five years minimum experience in estimating residential and small-scale construction jobs
- Advanced knowledge of residential and light commercial HVAC systems
- Knowledge of HVAC installation process
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to create professional presentations
- Ability to create reports on costing data
- Ability to work well on a team
- Working knowledge of technical drawings and requirements
- Working knowledge of sales tactics and warranties
- Ability to interpret computerized data
- Ability to negotiate favorable pricing
- Computer literacy in office communication programs, Excel and Word
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with vendors, suppliers, subcontractors and clients
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and courteous disposition
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- BS or AA degree from accredited university
- Project management training certificate.
- Training and/or certifications in construction safety, defensive driving, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of construction industry
- Mechanical aptitude
There is frequent bending, walking, carrying and lifting; some sitting for prolonged periods. Manual dexterity required for computer work. There is occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. There will be exposure to confined spaces, such as, attics and roofs. Office and outdoor construction environments should be expected. Must be able to wear work boots and perform ladder work. It will require some exposure to cold, heat, weather, and sun. Work conditions include construction site noise level. Reasonable accommodations will be made available.
Assistant Project Manager
The Assistant Project Manager, under the direction of the Project Manager, plans, coordinates, executes and maintains effective construction organization utilizing the necessary engineering, labor, equipment, materials, tools, subcontracted services and other Company resources to perform the scope of the contracted work on high rise residential, commercial and industrial plumbing/piping/HVAC projects within budget and time schedule.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Project Manager, assists with:
- The development and tracking of the project schedule
- Establishing project cost control centers for tracking equipment, material, labor, subcontracts and miscellaneous costs
- The direction of trade planners in the development of shop drawings and coordination of the planning efforts with other trades
- The development of piping, plumbing and/or HVAC construction standards
- The resolution of issues/problems
- The reporting of project status to stakeholders
- The estimation and processing of changes in the scope of work
- The management of construction documentation
- The inspection of the job site on a periodic basis
- Follow up on warranty work
- Other duties as assigned.
Non-Essential Job Duties:
- Assists in sales calls.
- Attends pre-bid meetings.
- HS Diploma or equivalent with 2-4 years of experience working in the mechanical construction industry or BS in Engineering/Construction Management.
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial plumbing or piping systems.
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial HVAC systems.
- Ability to interpret computerized data.
- Computer literacy in Outlook, Excel and Word and Blue Beam.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout Bay Area.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Project and Primavera.
- Knowledge of design, building and mechanical/plumbing code.
Sitting for prolonged periods required. Occasional standing and walking required. Manual dexterity required for computer work. Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs required. Office work environment as well as construction site environment. Some exposure to loud noise on construction sites at times. Reasonable accommodations will be made available.
Think Safety Mission Statement
Peterson Mechanical, Inc. is committed to the safety and welfare of all our employees and the employees of the project team, through prevention, education, awareness, and strong safety culture. Our goal is to reduce workplace accidents with the ultimate goal of zero injuries and accidents.
Our efforts towards safety have allowed us to benefit from a low EMR Rate, always below 1.
Peterson Mechanical’s full-time Safety Coordinator, Dave Kimble, works to assure implementation of our comprehensive written safety program and to ensure that the company and its employees are in compliance with all OSHA regulations, Cal OSHA regulations, ANSI standards, and industry best practices.
Our Safety Coordinator has the following training: OSHA 511, 500, HAZWOPER, OSHA 10-30, First Aid, CPR, AED, Power Industrial Trucks Training, Confined Work Space Trainer, Respirator Use Trainer, Powder Actuated Tools, Man Lift Trainer, Certified Rigging and Signaling, Competent Person Trenching Certified, and ARC Flash Prevention. Notably, he also has over 10 years of practical experience.
Our Safety Program consists of the following: Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Job Hazard Analysis (JHA), Accident Investigation, Heat Illness Prevention, Tool Box Training, Fall Protection Training, Hot Work Permits, and Code of Safe Work Practices.
Peterson Mechanical’s written safety program is under continuous review to ensure our policies and procedures reflect current safety standards, requirements, and industry best practices.
All of our Field Supervisors are OSHA 10 and 30 certified and receive continual training on our Safety Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer & Prohibit Discrimination & Harassment of Any Kind
Peterson Mechanical upholds equal employment opportunity for all employees and provides employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Peterson Mechanical are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Peterson Mechanical will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Peterson Mechanical encourages applicants of all ages.
Highlight of Benefits
We offer a competitive benefits package:
Group Medical Insurance
- Company pays 80% of monthly bronze premium per respective plan
- Choose from several Blue Shield, Western Health Advantage or Kaiser plans
Group Dental Insurance
- Company pays 100% of employee monthly premium
- Current carrier is Cypress Dental
- Employees may add dependents to group plan coverage
- Company pays 60% of monthly bronze premium per respective plan
Long Term Disability
- Company pays 100% of premium
- Supplements the State Disability Plan
- Salary continuance at 60% up to $5,000 per month
- Company match: 100% of employee’s contribution up to 3% of compensation plus 50% match on contributions from 3% to 5% of compensation (excludes bonuses)
- Match is made annually on a one-time basis
- Choice of Mass Mutual self-directed investment options; includes a fixed investment option with a 3% guarantee
- Match is made annually on a one-time basis, no later than June 15th of the following year
- Discretionary contribution to 401K plan of 7 to 15 % of employee compensation (excludes bonuses)
- Match is made annually on a one-time basis, no later than June 15th of the following year
- Employees can choose Critical Care Insurance, Hospital Coverage, Cancer and Accident Insurance, Whole or Term Life. A Long Term Care rider is available. Vision insurance is offered through VSP.
Employee Assistance Program
- Referral based benefit for situations such as legal, financial, and substance abuse assistance.
PTO (Personal Time Off)
- 9 to 18 days per year based on years of service
- 10 paid holidays per calendar year
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance Statement
Peterson Mechanical is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which prohibits the discrimination of qualified individuals with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.